Thursday, September 27, 2007

Mama Gump

I was talking to Mom tonight and she ever so casually mentioned that she had seen Bruce Springsteen play live a long time ago, upon which I said, "WHAT?! How come you never told me?" and upon which she said "Oh, I'm sure I told you." You know how Mom can be. She never told me. Anyway, turns out she saw him play at UMass in 1973, right before Bruce released "Greetings From Asbury Park" and became a legend. I googled the event to make sure Mom wasn't making it up (or hadn't imagined seeing him...lush) and sure enough, I found this article in the UMass Alumni Magazine. June 5, 1973. Mom was dating some dweeb at UMass and Bruce Springsteen was a nobody, opening Spring Carnival Week with bands named Cold Blood, It's a Beautiful Day, and the Elvin Bishop Group. Mom remembers it being "cold and wet and I didn't know who he was so I didn't care." Oh, mother, I guess I'll forgive you.


Maybe the hippie in the bottom right is Mom? Did she ever own an army jacket? Was her boyfriend wearing a red wool jacket? If you look closely, that woman does kind of resemble Banks -- with 90s-grunge rock hair.

1 comment:

The Girl said...

Ok, seriously, that woman does kinda resemble mom! you should send her the pic to see if it is