Monday, January 7, 2008

New Obsessions for 2008

Here is a list of some of my new favorite things of 2008! Try them out some time.

1. Sigg Water Bottles. I am currently on the hunt to purchase these for us, but they are definitely the new way to go with water bottles. They are non-toxic, eco-friendly, aluminum, reusable, and Swiss made. I'm afraid it's time to say goodbye to Nalgene!



2. Polar Running Watch. Price was pretty savvy with this gift. This watch, which is really a mini computer, can do just about anything you can think of. It's designed for goal-oriented runners, but is also useful for someone like me who enjoys running and can benefit from knowing exact distances and pacing guidelines. The watch comes with a heart-rate monitor and a foot-pod to track your distance. I enjoy tracking my HR in lots of activities, including spinning class. It's great to keep track of how hard you really are working.

3. Mrs. Meyer's Household Cleaners. Ok, I know it isn't everyday that someone gets this excited over a cleaning prdocut, but this line of products is to-die-for. Mrs. Meyer's is dedicated to using natural ingredients in her cleansers, so they are not as toxic or harmful, but use essential oils to create great-smelling and great-working cleansers. I was given a set for Christmas and actually enjoyed cleaning the bathroom last weekend. That never happens! The other cool thing is they have a seasonal line and carry all sorts of products for different tasks, like pets, babies, and laundry. I currently have the lavender-scented line and love it!

4. Sunbeam Heated Throw. This electric blanket has been a lifesaver lately. I cannot believe, as cold as I always am
in our apartment, that I never thought to purchase a heated blanket. But when we were home in Lynchburg for Christmas, I cuddled up under Brantley's old electric throw and fell in love. Now I have my own, I know Brantley is proud, and barely come out. Ask Price. He's the one who wakes me from my heat-induced comas on the couch. Ah, but it feel sooooo niiiiiiice :)

5. Bear Grylls. If you don't have the Discovery channel, run, don't walk, to your local cable provider and get it now! Bear's show, Man v. Wild, is our favorite new form of entertainment. There really isn't anything this guy won't do to survive in all kind of extreme conditions, from the Sahara to the Everglades to Patagonia. He drinks his own urine, guts a dead camel for shelter, and consistently tastes local delicacies - such as goat's testicles and maggots - to name a few. Bear's goal is to teach us how to survive in extreme survival situations, but if you ask me, I'll stay home under my heat blanket and just enjoy watching him. Go Bear!

6. Belgian Waffle Maker. I recently decided that I love belgian waffles and I guess Santa listened! This particular model is made by Waring Pro. We've had great
success with our Waring Pro Blender, which was a wedding gift, so I am already thrilled with our latest kitchen gadget. Waffles have never tasted so good or been so easy to make. It beeps when the waffle is cooked, so no more constant checking and decision making - this one does the work for you. And the best part? Your waffles will cook in a quick 4 minutes! I think we might have to enact a weekly waffle night :)

7. American Apparel. I love the leggings this L.A. based store makes. They come in any color you might want and they can go with any and everything. I know leggings are totally 80's, but with a pair of Uggs, they make the winters in Boston a little more bearable. I can actually wear a skirt and not have to worry about snagging my tights! If you really get into it, try some
leg warmers, and celebrate your inner 80's-diva!



4 comments:

The Girl said...

Ok Bev, great review! Get this girl a weekly (monthly?) column!

I finally watched old Bear the other night, it was awesome. I was then, however, sucked into Fight Quest which followed. Those boys sure are cute!

Unknown said...

http://www.americanapparel.net/storefront/workitout/images/workitout08.jpg

ok really disappointed you failed to mention the new americanapparel unitards AND the zebra leggings weren't featured. maybe next column?

Unknown said...

i saw sigg bottles at our whole foods, just an FYI.

The NW Blairs said...

Oh, man! Williams-Sonoma has some awesome waffle mixes to go with that dreamy waffle iron. And Mrs. Meyers is sooo worth getting excited about. The lemon verbana scent is great, too.